Vegan and Gluten-Free Power Bites Bites
These bites are filled with nutritious ingredients and promise to get you through the afternoon slump. They also work as breakfast on the days when I am running out the door.
- for the dry ingredients:
- ¾ cup oats
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ¾ cup brown rice flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- for the wet ingredients:
- ½ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup honey (Or a vegan alternative, plus 2 tablespoons)
- ¼ cup coconut oil (plus 2 tablespoons )
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- for the mix-ins:
- ¾ cup nuts/seeds ((I used a mix of pumpkin seeds, chopped pecans, and chopped almonds))
- ¾ cup Dried fruit ((I used raisins and diced apricots))
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup flax
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a small saucepan combine the almond butter, honey, and coconut oil. Heat over medium, stirring often, until the mixture is melted and smooth. Pour into the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Add in the mix-ins and stir until well combined - it will take a bit of elbow grease, but you want the mix ins to be evenly incorporated even though the mixture will be quite loose and crumbly.
- Form the dough into balls about 1.5 inches in diameter and line up on the baking sheet. Lightly press down on the bites to flatten them slightly. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cook on the tray for 5 minutes. Gently remove the bites onto a cooking rack and cool completely. Serve.
View the recipe instructions at Catching Seeds