Pumpkin Spice Biscuits
The View From the Great Island
Easy Pumpkin Spice Biscuits ~ the stuff pumpkin lovers' dreams are made of...tall, flaky biscuits enriched with pumpkin puree and a hint of Fall spices.
- ½ cup (1 stick, 8 Tbsp) unsalted butter, cold
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup cold buttermilk, half and half, or cream
- dry ingredients
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder (make sure it's fresh!)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp each: cinnamon, cardamom, ground cloves, allspice and nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 450F (Make sure it is at the correct temperature before you bake)
- Cut the butter into pieces.
- Whisk the pumpkin and buttermilk together in a small bowl.
- Put the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to combine. You can do this by hand in a mixing bowl, too.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 20 pulses.
- Slowly add the pumpkin/buttermilk mixture, pulsing or stirring as you go. If the dough seems too dry, add a touch more buttermilk. If it seems excessively wet, add a bit more flour, but don't over-work it.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and bring it together into an 8 inch disc. Knead it a couple of times if necessary to bring it all together. Cut 8 biscuits with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter. You will have to reform the dough, gently, a couple of times.
- Refrigerate the cut biscuits for about 20 minutes, while you clean up.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, until risen and golden. Enjoy asap!