Purple Kale and Pansy Salad
The View From the Great Island
Purple Kale and Pansy Salad ~ edible flowers like colorful pansies can turn a salad from so-s0 to sensational. Use them as a garnish on all kinds of dishes this spring!
- 1 bunch kale, I used purple kale
- fresh basil leaves, both green and purple varieties
- fresh sprigs of thyme
- fresh mint leaves
- fresh parsley
- 0.5 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2-3 tbsp sunflower or pepita seeds
- edible flowers like pansies for garnish
- tangerine poppy seed vinaigrette
- juice of 1 big tangerine
- 2 tbsp olive oil ((divided))
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- juice of lemon
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
- salt to taste
- Wash your kale really well, and then trim the tough stems off. Remove the spines of each leaf, too. Chop or shred the kale and add it to a large wide salad bowl.
- Toss the herbs, onions, and seeds in, I like to keep to about a 4 to 1 ratio of greens to herbs. Go heavy on the basil.
- Toss the salad with the dressing, and then scatter the flowers on top for garnish.
- To make the dressing, put the ingredients in a jar, screw on the cap, and give a good shake. Taste it before using to adjust any of the ingredients.