Bacon, eggs, cheese and onions - a plain and simple delicious quiche.
- 1 recipe shortcrust pastry (for a 23 c m pie)
- 6 rashers bacon
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 350 ml milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 150 g cheddar (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- Preheat oven to 230 C / gas 8. Line pastry with foil. Bake for 8 minutes, then remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until pastry is set and dry. Remove from oven and turn down temperature to 160 C / gas 3.
- In a large frying pan, cook bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon and chop into pieces but reserve 2 tablespoons of the dripping that\'s in the pan. Cook onion in this for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together milk, salt and eggs. Stir in bacon and cooked onion. In a separate bowl, mix cheese and flour together, then add to egg mixture. Be sure to mix well. Pour egg mixture into pastry.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until knife inserted into centre of quiche comes out clean. If necessary, cover edge of pastry with foil while baking to prevent burning or overbrowning. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
View the recipe instructions at allrecipes.co.uk