Rainbow Chicken Skewers with Spicy Pesto Sauce
The View From the Great Island
Rainbow Chicken Skewers with Spicy Pesto Sauce ~ my easy chicken skewers can be made on the grill or in the oven, so you can enjoy this healthy 30 minute meal all year long!
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- ½ red onion
- spicy pesto sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves (about 2 packed cups)
- ½ jalapeño pepper ((more to taste,) remove seeds for less heat.)
- juice of lemon
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Cut the chicken, peppers, and onion into similar 1 inch pieces. Thread them on skewers, alternating the chicken chunks with the peppers and onions in any pattern you like.
- Make the pesto sauce by putting the garlic, basil, jalapeno, and lemon juice in a small food processor and processing until minced. Add enough olive oil to make a loose sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep refrigerated until needed.
- Put the chicken skewers on a baking sheet and brush lightly with olive oil. Set the pan on the highest rack level and broil on high for about 10 minutes. Turn the skewers over. Put a muffin tin on the oven rack, and then put the baking sheet back in so that the skewers are very close to the flame. Watch carefully and let them cook until they are nicely charred. Make sure the chicken is done to 165F.
- Serve the skewers with the sauce on the side.