Italian Christmas Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Italian Christmas Cookies ~ these classic holiday cookies have a soft texture, a buttery flavor, and lots of festive frosting on top!
- 4 eggs ((beaten))
- ¾ cup canola oil
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon or anise extract
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tbsp butter (melted and cooled )
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1¼ cup confectioners sugar
- milk as needed
- colored sprinkles and or colored sugar
- Set oven to 350F
- Beat together the eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla, and lemon or anise extract.
- Mix in the baking powder, salt, and flour until well combined.
- Roll dough into 1" balls and place about 2 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake 9 - 11 minutes (cookies should not brown).
- Place on wire rack to cool. Then frost and decorate as described below.
- To make the frosting, whisk together the butter and vanilla and then whisk in enough confectioners sugar to make a frosting. Add about a tablespoon of milk at a time until you get a drizzling consistency.
- Liberally drizzle over cookies and immediately sprinkle with colored sugar or sprinkles. Leave until frosting sets.