Reader’s Recipes: Susan’s Italian Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Reader's Recipes: Italian Christmas Cookies ~ these classic holiday cookies have a soft texture, a buttery flavor, and lots of festive frosting on top!
makes about 4 1/2 dozen cookies
- 4 eggs
- 0.75 cup canola oil
- 1.25 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon or anise extract
- 4 tsp baking powder
- of salt
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla
- approximately 1 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
- milk as needed
- colored sprinkles and or colored sugar
- Set oven to 350F
- Beat together the eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla, and lemon or anise extract.
- Mix in the baking powder, salt, and flour until well combined.
- Roll dough into 1" balls and place about 2 inches apart on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake 9 - 11 minutes (cookies should not brown).
- Place on wire rack to cool. Then frost and decorate as described below.
- To make the frosting, whisk together the butter and vanilla and then whisk in enough confectioners sugar to make a frosting. Add about a tablespoon of milk at a time until you get a drizzling consistency.
- Liberally drizzle over cookies and immediately sprinkle with colored sugar or sprinkles. Leave until frosting sets.