Roasted Cauliflower and Barley Pilaf
From a Chef's Kitchen
Roasted Cauliflower and Barley Pilaf is a beautiful fall-inspired side dish that's perfect with fish, poultry or roasted meats or as a vegetarian main dish.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ medium onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons red wine vineger
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, toasted if desired
- coarsely chopped fresh parsley (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss cauliflower with half the olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly charred and tender.
- Meanwhile, bring a saucepan full of salted water to a boil. Add the barley and boil for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender but still "al dente."
- While cauliflower and barley are cooking, heat butter and remaining olive oil in a skillet or saute pan.
- Add the onion and cook, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and carrot and continue cooking until onion and carrot are softened. Stir in thyme, chicken broth and vinegar. Keep warm.
- When barley and cauliflower are cooked, add them to skillet with the onion and carrot. Add walnuts, adjust seasoning and serve immediately garnished with fresh parsley.