Sausages With Mustard Mash And Red Onion Gravy
Buy any good-quality or speciality sausages for this quick and easy, gastro-pub favourite. Wholegrain mustard gives piquancy to the creamy mash, and red wine makes a robust onion gravy. Serve with seasonal green vegetables. Delicious!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 tsp soft brown sugar
- 900 g floury potatoes (peeled and cut into small chunks)
- 8 sausages (good-quality)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 300 ml beef stock (hot, made with a stock cube)
- 100 ml red wine
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 100 ml milk (warmed)
- 50 g butter
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Caramelise the onion: Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and sprinkle with the sugar, then cook gently, stirring from time to time, for 12-15 minutes or until the onion is lightly caramelised. Preheat the grill.
- Cook the potatoes and sausages: While the onion is cooking, boil the potatoes in lightly salted water for 15 minutes or until tender, and grill the sausages, turning regularly, for about 15 minutes or until evenly browned.
- Make the gravy: Sprinkle the flour over the caramelised onion, stir and cook for 1 minute, then gradually stir in the stock, wine and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer gently.
- Mash the potatoes: Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Mash with the warm milk, butter and mustard to taste.
- Serve: Spoon a mound of mashed potato on to each plate, lay a couple of sausages on top and spoon over the gravy.
View the recipe instructions at allrecipes.co.uk