The View From the Great Island
Shirazi Salad, or Persian cucumber tomato salad, is an refreshing vegetable salad along the lines of pico de gallo, or Israeli salad.
- 0.5 small or 1/4 large red onion
- 2 small Persian cucumbers
- approximately 4 cups chopped tomatoes, this can be a mix of regular, heirloom, and cherries.
- 2 heaped Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 2 heaped Tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 heaped Tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 0.25 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 0.25 cup fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Slice the onion in 1/4 inch slices, and then cut the slices in half to make manageable sized pieces. Soak the onions in cold water for at least 15 minutes while you assemble the rest of the salad. This helps reduce the sharpness of the onion.
- Cut the cucumbers in half the long way, and then into 1 inch chunks. Add to a large shallow salad bowl along with the tomatoes and fresh herbs. Drain and add the onions.
- Whisk the dressing together and season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss the salad with the dressing and serve immediately. (You may not need all of the dressing.)