Slow Cooker Moroccan Turkey and Lentils
From a Chef's Kitchen
Slow Cooker Moroccan Turkey and Lentils is a delicious way to puts an exotic twist on turkey! Perfect for the holidays or an easy dinner!
- charmoula MARINADE
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large lemon
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- turkey AND LENTILS
- 1 (1 1/2 to 2 pound) boneless skinless turkey breast half
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15-ounce) diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- lemon wedges
- CHARMOULA MARINADE
- Combine marinade ingredients in a 1-gallon zipper-top bag. Add the turkey breast half and massage the bag to distribute the marinade evenly over the turkey breast. Refrigerate overnight.
- TURKEY AND LENTILS
- Spray the insert of the slow-cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Remove the turkey breast from the marinade and place it in the slow-cooker.
- Drain the excess oil from the marinade through a sieve and discard. Place remaining marinade ingredients in the slow-cooker around the turkey breast.
- Add the lentils and chicken broth. Cover and cook for 4 hours on HIGH or 8 hours on LOW.
- When the turkey and lentils have about a half hour to go when cooking on HIGH or an hour to go on LOW, stir in the tomatoes.
- When finished, remove the turkey breast and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Remove bay leaves. Add cilantro to the lentils and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve turkey sliced on a platter over the lentils, garnished with cilantro sprigs and lemon wedges.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen