Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Ham Hock
Making Split Pea Soup in the Slow Cooker is so easy and perfect for busy weeknight meals. It's also freezer friendly!
- 16 oz bag of dried split peas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 1 smoked ham hock, about 11 ounces (assuming 4 ounces meat removing bone and skin)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- black pepper (to taste)
- Wash and drain the peas in a colander.In a small skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil over medium heat until soft, about 3 minutes.Transfer to the slow cooker and add peas, carrots, ham hock and chicken broth, cover and cook on LOW 10 hours, until the peas are tender.Remove ham hock and season with black pepper.Discard the skin of the ham hock and shred the pork off the bone, add back to the soup.