Spiced Apple Cake
The View From the Great Island
Spiced Apple Cake ~ this moist and tender cake is warmed by cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, and topped with a sweet nutmeg laced frosting.
- dry ingredients
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 0.5 teaspoon salt
- 0.5 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 0.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 0.5 teaspoon ground cloves
- wet ingredients
- 0.75 cup sugar
- 0.5 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 2 eggs ((beaten))
- 1 cup Apple Butter
- 0.5 cup Greek yogurt
- nutmeg glaze
- 1.5 cups confectioner's sugar
- milk for thinning
- 1 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- Set the oven to 350F
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- Cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Stir in the apple butter.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients alternately with the yogurt, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix just until combined, don't over beat.
- Spread the dough into a 9x5 loaf pan (spray lightly with cooking spray and/or line with parchment paper for easy removal) and bake for about 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without wet batter clinging to it.
- Cool on a rack while you make the glaze.
- To make the glaze, mix the confectioner's sugar with enough milk to form a spreadable glaze. Stir in the nutmeg to taste.
- Spread the glaze on the warm cake.