Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Salad
From a Chef's Kitchen
Black-eyed peas are more than a New Year's good-luck charm or a Southern comfort food; they can be used to make this great Spicy Black-Eyed Pea Salad you'll crave all year long.
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- 3 medium cucumbers
- 1 medium red onion (finely chopped)
- 5 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers (finely chopped)
- 1 small bunch cilantro (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Bring a saucepan of unsalted water to a boil. Add the black-eyed peas and cook 25 to 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool under running water; drain again.
- While the peas are cooking, prepare the vegetables. With a vegetable peeler, remove half of the cucumber skin, leaving thin strips of green all the way around. Cut into quarters lengthwise, remove the seeds and chop.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the chopped onion, tomatoes, jalapeño, cilantro and garlic. Add the cooled peas, lemon juice and olive oil and stir to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and more lemon juice if desired.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen