Spicy Italian Sausage Whole Grain Penne Pasta and Vegetable Soup
From a Chef's Kitchen
This soup is heaven in a bowl. It's everything you love about Italian cuisine!
- 2 cups dried whole-grain penne pasta
- 1 pound spicy Italian sausage, pork or turkey
- 4 tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 1 large onion (white or red) (finely chopped)
- 3 large carrots (chopped)
- 3 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 large red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 2 medium zucchini (halved lengthwise and thinly sliced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 0.5 cup dry red wine
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15-ounce each) tomato sauce
- 1 canned diced fire-roasted tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 0.25 cup fresh parsley
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain, rinse with cold water to cool and set aside.
- Brown the sausage well over medium heat in a skillet or saute pan, breaking it apart as you go, until browned and cooked through. Drain well on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Reduce heat to medium and cook 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add the red, green pepper, zucchini and garlic and continue cooking 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Add the dry red wine, chicken broth, tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Transfer cooked sausage back to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes. Stir in the parsley and season to taste with salt and black pepper. Add the cooked pasta to the soup.
- Serve in bowls topped with Parmesan cheese.