Sticky Ginger Christmas Cupcakes
Impress your friends and family with these sticky ginger Christmas cupcakes! The secret ingredient is a toffee sauce mixed in with the icing - AH-MAZING!
- 200 g fine dark muscovado sugar
- 200 g margarine / unsalted butter
- 4 eggs ((beaten))
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 1½ tsp mixed spice
- 75 g fudge pieces
- 150 ml double cream
- 43 g butter
- 50 g light muscovado sugar
- 25 g fudge pieces
- 220 g margarine / unsalted butter
- 640 g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / 350°F / gas 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tray.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until everything is combined and is nice and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and mix until everything is combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix on a medium speed until everything is combined.
- Add the ginger and mixed spies and stir into the mixture.
- Dust 55g of the fudge pieces and in self raising flour and add to the mixture, stir in.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cases and weigh out 20g of the fudge pieces then sprinkle them on top of the cakes.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- While your cakes are cooking make the toffee sauce. Add all the ingredients to a saucepan and keep stirring until everything has dissolved and turned into a toffee colour, until it starts to bubble.
- Pour it into a jug so it cools down quicker.
- Take your cakes out the oven an place them on a wire rack to completely cool.
- While your cakes are cooling make your frosting. Place margarine into the bowl and sift the icing sugar, you may have to do this in batches as there is quite a lot.
- Once all the icing sugar has all been sifted, on a low speed start to whisk it up and gradually up the speed until you have a thick paste.
- Add 3 tbsp of toffee sauce and stir in so it loosens the mixture.
- Pick a nozzle of your choice and add a bit of frosting to your piping bag followed by a big dollop of toffee sauce then some more frosting.
- Pipe the frosting quite high on your cake, decorate with little gingerbread men and Christmas sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy!
View the recipe instructions at Globe Scoffers