Sweet Fire Chicken Skewers
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 and 1/2 inch cubes)
- 4 bell peppers (red, green, yellow, orange, seeded and cut into 1 and 1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 jalapeno (or other hot peppers, sliced into 1 and 1/2 inch slices)
- 1 red onion (large, cut into 1 and 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 pineapple (small, peeled, cored, and cut into 1 and 1/2 inch chunks)
- 1 cups pineapple juice (canned is fine)
- 2 tbsp Tamari soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp plum sauce (substitute plum jam, or make your own plum sauce !)
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sriracha sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Thread your skewers, alternating chicken, onions, peppers, and pineapple.
- To make the sauce, put all the ingredients in a sauce pan and stir well. Bring to a boil, stirring often. The sauce will thicken as it comes to a boil. Let it boil gently, stirring constantly, for a minute. Remove from heat and taste to see if you\'d like to adjust the ingredients in any way. Set aside, or let cool and refrigerate if you\'re making in advance.
- Divide the sauce into two portions, and save one half for serving with the cooked skewers. Use the other half to brush each skewer on both sides before grilling.
- Grill the skewers over high heat for about 7-10 minutes per side, or until the chicken is done through (it should register 160F on an instant read thermometer.) Brush with more sauce while cooking if you like.
- Heat the reserved sauce and brush the skewers with extra sauce just before serving. Provide any extra sauce on the side.
View the recipe instructions at theviewfromgreatisland.com