Sweet Onion Latkes with Chive Sour Cream
The View From the Great Island
Sweet Onion Latkes with Chive Sour Cream ~ be forewarned ~ the aroma of these crispy onion fritters sizzling on the stove will draw crowds ~ don't save them just for Passover and Hanukkah!
- 1 medium large sweet onion
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- lots of fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
- 1 large egg (well beaten)
- olive oil for frying
- chive sour cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chives
- 1 tbsp horseradish cream
- Set oven to 325F (for keeping the latkes warm, if necessary).
- Peel the onion and slice it into 1/8 inch slices with a mandoline. Then cut the slices into quarters, so you have small shreds. Roll the onions in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can. You may need to do this again with a fresh towel if they are very wet.
- Put the onions into a mixing bowl and add the flour, salt, and pepper. Toss well. Add the egg and mix well with a fork until everything is well combined.
- Coat the bottom of a skillet with olive oil and heat on medium to medium high heat until hot.
- Drop the latke mixture into the pan by the tablespoonful, and flatten out slightly with the back of the spoon. Cook for about 2 minutes per side until crisp and golden. Remove to a paper towel to drain. You can keep the latkes warm in the oven while you finish the rest of the batch.
- Serve hot with the sour cream and a sprinkle of chives.
- To make the sauce, mix all the ingredients together and process in a small food processor. If you like you can skip this step and just stir the ingredients together.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island