Sweet Potato Galette with Pecan Streusel Topping
From a Chef's Kitchen
Sweet Potato Galette with Pecan Streusel Topping is the classic sweet potato casserole enveloped in pastry!
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (peeled and cubed )
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 7 tablespoons coconut sugar (or white sugar)
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- of salt
- 1 roll refrigerated pie crust (half a package) or your own homemade pie crust
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1½ tablespoons butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes in salted water to cover. Bring to a boil.
- Place the butter in a medium bowl and place it over the saucepan to melt the butter. Remove when melted and let the potatoes continue to cook. When fork-tender, drain well.
- Using a potato ricer, rice the sweet potatoes into the melted butter. (Alternately, use a food mill.) Add the coconut sugar, half-and-half, vanilla extract, egg and a pinch of salt and mix well to combine.
- Unroll the pie crust onto a piece of parchment paper. Spread the sweet potato mixture over the pastry, leaving a 2 to 3-inch margin.
- Roll the edges of the pie crust over the filling, tucking it in every inch or two.
- Combine the pecans, flour, brown sugar and butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle it over the galette.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crust is golden. If the nuts look like they may brown too much or possibly burn, cover the center with a small piece of aluminum foil. Cut into wedges and serve.
View the recipe instructions at From a Chef's Kitchen