Sweet Spring Bread
Sweet Spring Bread -- perfect sweet bread to make in Spring. It is studded with dry fruit and is soft and absolutely delicious.
- ricotta (dough:)
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups Wholewheat Flour ((or use 4 cups of All purpose ))
- 2 tsp yeast (Instant)
- 0.33333333333333 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1 eggs Egg yolk (large + (reserve the white for glaze).)
- 0.25 tsp Orange Oil (or Fiori di Sicilia)
- 1 cup Dried fruit (Mixed (I used chopped dried apricots, cherries and raisins))
- 0.25 cup sugar
- 0.33333333333333 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tbsps unsalted butter
- Melt the butter along with milk in a small saucepan. Let the mixture cool to lukewarm.
- Combine the milk mixture with the remaining dough ingredients, except the dried fruit, and mix and knead to form a soft dough.
- Knead in the fruit.
- Cover and let the dough rise, for 1½hours, or until it becomes puffy and nearly doubles in volume.
- Deflate the dough. Divide it in half and shape each half into a 8" log. Place the logs in 2 greased 8½"x4½" loaf pans.
- Let rise, covered, for about 1½hours, till crowned about 1" over the rims of the pans. Just before the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Beat the reserved egg white and brush over the tops of the loaves (in my case, I brushed the m with soy milk).
- Mix the topping ingredients until crumbly and sprinkle on top.
- Bake the bread for 25~30 minutes or lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, turn out of the pans and cool completely on a rack.
- ** I used 2tbsp egg replacer whisked in 6tbsp water for the 2 eggs and 1tbsp Soy milk for the white used for the glaze.