Tangerine Poppy Seed Pound Cake
The View From the Great Island
Tangerine Poppy Seed Pound Cake is bursting with juicy citrus flavor and crunchy poppy seeds ~ and just when you thought winter had nothing fresh to offer!
- 0.75 cup buttermilk
- 3 tbsp Poppy seeds
- zest of 1 tangerine
- 3 tbsp fresh tangerine juice
- 0.25 tsp orange extract or oil (you can also use vanilla)
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 0.5 cup almond flour or meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 0.125 tsp salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter,
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1.5 cups confectioners sugar
- fresh tangerine juice
- tangerine zest
- Set oven to 350F Lightly spray and line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper with long ends overhanging so you can easily remove the cake after baking.
- Mix the buttermilk, poppy seeds, tangerine zest, juice, and extract and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, or by hand, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time and blend together well, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl alternately with the wet ingredients, beginning and ending with the dry.
- Turn the batter into the lined loaf pan and spread out evenly. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without wet batter on it. If the cake seems to be browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil for the second half of the baking time.
- Let the cake cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, whisk the sugar with enough fresh tangerine juice to make a spreadable consistency. Garnish with more tangerine zest.