Tea Brack is a delicious Irish fruit bread that is packed with dry fruit soaked in tea.Bread keeps well at room temperature for up to 10 days.
- 1 cup Hot Brewed Tea
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 cup Prunes, pitted and chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups Wholewheat Flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp Egg replacer whisked in 3tbsp water (or 1 large egg)
- 2½ tbsp Coarse Sparking White Sugar
- Combine all the dry fruit in a bowl. Pour the hot tea over the fruit and set aside to cool to lukewarm for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a 8" round cake pan.
- In a mixing bow, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dried fruit and any remaining liquid. Stir everything thoroughly until combined. This is a thick and stiff batter.
- Add the egg replacer mixture and mix everything thoroughly.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and sprinkle the top evenly with the coarse sparkling sugar.
- Bake the bread for 60~70 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and turn it out onto a wire rack to cool.