Thai Green Curry
Recipe video above. This is how to make a really great QUICK green curry by pimping up curry in a jar, OR using a homemade green curry paste! Don't skip frying off the curry paste, this makes all the difference. See Spiciness info in Note 1 (remember, Green Curry is supposed to be spicy!)
- 4 tbsp Thai green curry paste (maesri best)
- 2 garlic cloves (large, minced)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger (shredded)
- 1 tbsp lemongrass paste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable, reduced sodium)
- 400 g coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp white sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (torn in half)
- 350 g chicken thigh (skinless boneless, sliced, note 6 )))
- 2 japanese eggplants (1 cm / 2/5 " slices)
- 1½ cups snow peas (small, trimmed)
- 16 thai basil leaves
- ½ lime (juice of, to taste)
- asian shallots (crispy fried, high recommended, note 9)
- thai basil (or cilantro, recommended)
- slices green chillies (or red, optional)
- Heat oil in a heavy based skillet or pot over medium high heat.
- Add curry paste (and garlic, ginger and lemongrass Extras, if using) and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until it mostly \"dries out\" - see video. Don\'t breath in the fumes!!
- Add chicken broth and coconut milk, mix to dissolve paste.
- Curry in a jar seasonings: Add 1 tsp fish sauce, 1 tsp sugar, no salt.
- Homemade curry paste seasonings: Add 3 tsp fish sauce, 3 tsp sugar, 1/8 tsp salt.
- Add kaffir lime leaves. Mix then bring to simmer.
- Add chicken, stir then lower heat to medium so it\'s bubbling gently. Cook 7 minutes.
- Add eggplants, cook 5 minutes until soft.
- Taste sauce. Add fish sauce or salt for more saltiness, sugar for sweetness.
- Add snow peas, cook 2 minutes until a bit softened, then stir through basil and lime juice. Sauce should have reduced but will still be a be on the thin side, not thick - that\'s how it\'s should be. DO NOT keep simmering - sauce will darken.
- Serve curry over jasmine rice with garnishes of choice.
View the recipe instructions at www.recipetineats.com