Vanilla Bean Shortbread Tea Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Vanilla Bean Shortbread Cookies are a simple, buttery, and utterly delicious cookie perfect for afternoon tea, an after school snack, or any occasion.
makes approximately 2 dozen
- 1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks) at room temperature
- 0.5 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract (or vanilla bean paste)
- Set oven to 350F
- Cream the sugar and butter together with the vanilla bean seeds. Blend in the flour and vanilla extract. Keep stirring until the dough comes together.
- Turn the soft dough out onto a floured surface and for into two disks, like for pie dough. Wrap the disks in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thick and cut out the cookies. Place them on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.
- Put the baking sheet in the refrigerator while you clean up.
- Bake the cookies for about 13 minutes until firm.
- Cool on a rack