Vanilla on Vanilla Sandwich Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Vanilla on Vanilla Sandwich Cookies are crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and bursting with tons of real vanilla flavor ~
makes 2 dozen cookies
- dry ingredients
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- wet ingredients
- ¾ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1¼ cups sugar
- seeds scraped from vanilla bean
- 2 eggs
- vanilla filling
- 1½ cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- milk or cream for thinning
- set oven to 375F
- In a small bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Cream the butter, then beat in the sugar and vanilla bean seeds and beat until creamy.
- Beat in the eggs and blend well. Then add the dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Using a small scoop (1 inch) drop the dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet, 3 inches apart (these cookies will spread a bit).
- Bake for about 10 minutes until the cookies are lightly golden around the edges. Cool on the pan for a couple of minutes before moving them to a cooling rack.
- Fill the cooled cookies with the vanilla filling and sandwich them together, pressing lightly to spread the filling to the edges of the cookie.
- To make the fillings, mix the ingrdients together until smooth and creamy. Add enough milk or cream to get a thick but spreadable consistency.