Vankaya Perugu Pachadi
This is a simple roasted eggplant and yogurt dish that goes well with roti and rice.
- 1 eggplant (Small)
- 1 onion (Small , finely chopped)
- 2 ~ 3 Chilies (Green , finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- ½ tsp Urad dal
- 1 ~ 2 Chilies (Dry red)
- a pinch Asafoetida (/ Hing)
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- 8 ~ 10 Curry leaves
- to taste Salt
- Roast the eggplant until tender inside and the outside is blistered either directly on the stove or in the oven (at 425F for 30~35 minutes). Let cool slightly, peel and coarsely chop the flesh.
- In a pan, heat oil, add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, red chilies and asafoetida. Once the seeds start to splutter, add curry leaves, green chilies, turmeric and the chopped onion.
- Once the onion turns slightly soft, add salt and turn off the heat. Stir in the chopped roasted eggplant and mix well.
- Finally add the whisked yogurt and mix well. Adjust the seasoning and serve with rice or roti.
View the recipe instructions at Cook's Hideout