Vegan French Toast with Fresh Strawberry Sauce
Wake up to this gluten free Vegan French Toast that is smothered in a Fresh Strawberry Sauce. The perfect healthy-ish 9 ingredient brunch recipe!
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 ripe banana (peeled)
- 0.25 cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 8 slices bread ((gluten-free if needed))
- coconut oil for cooking
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- pinch salt
- seasonal fruits
- maple syrup
- Add the coconut milk, banana, coconut sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon into a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a 9x11 baking dish.
- Add in the bread slices and turn them to completely coat. Let sit for 20 minutes to let the bread absorb the batter.
- While the bread is soaking, add the strawberries, maple syrup, and salt into a bowl. Using a pastry cutter, mash the berries until they release their juices and are soft with chunks of strawberries still in tact.
If you don't have a pastry cutter, pulse the berries in a food processor until you achieve the same texture.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add in enough coconut oil to thinly cover the pan when melted. Add in as many bread slices as you can fit, without the French toast overlapping.
Cook on each side until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. If you are cooking the French toast in batches, preheat the oven to its lowest setting. Place the finished French toast straight onto the oven racks until you are ready to serve.
This keeps the French toast warm and keeps them from getting soggy.
- Serve the French toast topped with fresh strawberry sauce, maple syrup and seasonal fruit.