White Peach Frangipane Galette
The View From the Great Island
White Peach Frangipane Galette ~ this delicious peach galette with a creamy layer of almond frangipane is an easy alternative to pie this summer!
- 3 ripe but firm white peaches
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut in cubes
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 tbsp sugar, for sprinkling
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter (soft)
- ½ cup ground almonds or almond meal
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp almond extract
- glaze (optional)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp apricot jam or white grape jelly
- To make the crust, put the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Add the cold cubed butter and pulse about 25 times, until the butter is incorporated and the mixture is crumbly. While pulsing drizzle in the cold water until the dough just comes together. Turn out onto a floured surface and bring together into a flat disk. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour. (You can do this the day before if you like.)
- To make the frangipane whisk or process all the ingredients together until fluffy and creamy.
- Tear off a piece of parchment paper the size of your baking sheet and set the chilled disk of dough in the center. Using flour as needed to prevent sticking, roll the dough out to a 14 inch oval. If you experience sticking, top the dough with waxed paper or plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Transfer the paper with the dough to your baking sheet.
- Spoon the frangipane over the dough, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border all around.
- Arrange the peach slices in one layer (tightly fitted) over the top of the frangipane. Mix the ground almonds and sugar and sprinkle over the peaches.
- Bring the outer part of the dough up over the edge of the peaches to form a rustic crust, folding to fit. Don't worry about being super neat. Brush the outer crust with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Tent with foil if the crust seems to be getting too browned toward the end of baking. Note: make sure your oven is up to 400F before baking.
- If using the glaze, mix and melt the honey and jam together in the microwave and brush lightly over the peaches.
- Let cool slightly before slicing.