Whole Wheat Gingerbread Blondies
The View From the Great Island
Whole Wheat Gingerbread Blondies, amde with healthy whole grains, are a wonderful way to get in the holiday spirit!
- 2¾ cups Bob's Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- 1¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2½ sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup regular granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- a 10 oz bag of dark chocolate chips
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Set oven to 350F
- spray and line a 12x17 baking sheet (with sides) with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the flour, salt, and soda and set aside.
- Cream the butter and the sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and yolk, one at a time. Beat in the molasses, vanilla, and spices.
- Blend the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, reserving a few to place on top.
- Spread the dough onto the baking sheet. Take a few minutes to get it evenly spread out across the entire sheet. It helps to drop the dough in blobs all around the sheet first, and then start to spread. Place the reserved chocolate chips across the top, pushing them in slightly with your fingers. This step is optional but gives the finished blondies an appetizing look.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the blondies start to brown and look done around the edges. Don't over bake.
- Let them cool on the pan for a while before slicing into squares. Dust with powdered sugar if you like.