Whole Wheat Skillet Focaccia with Pine Nuts
The View From the Great Island
Whole Wheat Skillet Focaccia with Pine Nuts is a quick and easy yeast bread that anybody can make!
2 10" skillets or 1 dozen good sized slices
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- olive oil
- 1 cup pine nuts
- Set oven to 400F
- Pour the warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or a regular bowl if you want to beat it yourself. Add the yeast, salt and two cups of all purpose flour. Mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Add the whole wheat flour and mix until the dough comes together. It will still be sticky.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set the dough in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Coat two cast iron skillets liberally with olive oil, including the sides. Take half the dough and press out into each pan, nudging the dough with your fingers to fit the surface of the pan.
- Dip your fingers in olive oil and dot the entire surface with oil. Be generous.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts, and then with sea salt.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until risen and lightly browned. Watch carefully towards the end so the pine nuts don't burn.
- Cut in the pan or lift out for cutting.