Wild blueberry muffins with key lime butter
The View From the Great Island
Wild Blueberry Muffins ~ wild blueberries are tastier and healthier than their grocery store cousins ~ and these muffins are the ultimate morning treat!
- 1.75 cups flour
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 cup wild blueberries
- 0.5 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cup milk, buttermilk, or cream
- 1 egg
- for the Key Lime Butter
- 0.5 cup, 1 stick, unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 or 2 Tbsp fresh key lime juice
- zest of 2 or 3 key limes
- Set oven to 350F
- Make the Key Lime Butter: mash together the butter with the zest and lime juice. You can use as much or as little zest as you want, but add the juice sparingly---add only as much juice as your butter will absorb.
- Plop the butter on a sheet of waxed paper and roll it up like a little log. Twist the ends like a candy wrapper and chill till firm.
- While the butter is chilling make the muffins. Combine the dry ingredients and blueberries in a bowl.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients and add to the dry, mixing only until blended.
- Scoop into 8 greased muffin tins. Bake for about 25 minutes or until done.
- Serve warm with Key Lime Butter