Yotam Ottlenghi’s Flourless Coconut Cake
The View From the Great Island
You don't have to be on a gluten free diet to appreciate Yotam Ottolenghi's Flourless Coconut Cake ~ this super moist, super decadent pound cake is completely grain free and a must try.
- 0.75 cup unsalted butter
- 1.25 cups sugar
- 0.66666666666667 cup shredded coconut
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1.6666666666667 cups almond meal
- ganache glaze
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, cut in small pieces
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- 0.5 tsp vanilla or seeds from 1/2 pod
- 3 tbsp water
- 1.5 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into pieces
- Set oven to 350F
- Butter a standard loaf pan and line with parchment paper with overhanging ends.
- Beat the butter and sugar together for several minutes until pale and fluffy. Beat in the coconut, salt, and vanilla.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the almond flour. Spoon the mixture into the loaf pan, smoothing out the top. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then carefully lift out of the pan and continue to cool on a rack. Frost with the ganache when completely cool.
- To make the ganache ~ put the chocolate in a bowl and set aside. Combine the sugar and corn syrup in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for a couple of minutes, until the mixture is golden colored. Remove from heat and carefully pour in the water and vanilla. If the mixture seizes, just put it back on the heat and heat until melted. Pour this hot mixture over the chocolate and let sit for 3 minutes. Whisk to combine, then add the butter, a bit at a time, whisking until everything is smooth and glossy.
- Glaze the cake with the ganache.