No Bake Rhubarb Dream Bars
The View From the Great Island
No Bake Rhubarb Dream Bars are light as air treats flushed with a hint of pink from the season's first rhubarb. This easy no bake dessert is always a favorite!
- 1 sleeve graham crackers (about 9-10)
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 6 tbsp butter (melted)
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb (1 inch pieces)
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, (or a whole vanilla bean, seeds removed, or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, the sugar, and melted butter together until fully combined. Press the crust firmly and evenly into the bottom of a 9x9 square baking pan. I like to spray it lightly and then line with a long piece of parchment so I can lift out the chilled bars for neater cutting. This is optional. Chill the crust while you make the filling.
- Put the chopped rhubarb and sugar in a saucepan along with 6 tablespoons of water. Bring it up to a boil and simmer until thick and soft...about 5 minutes. Stir frequently so the fruit doesn't scorch. Puree the mixture until completely smooth. Blend in the vanilla and lemon and set aside to cool.
- When the rhubarb is cooled blend in the condensed milk.
- Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Fold in the rhubarb mixture gently but completely. Spread evenly over the crust and put back in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2-3 hours.
- The bars can be served chilled, or even frozen.