The Best Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon
The View From the Great Island
The Best Instant Pot Beef Bourguignon ~ this epic beef stew cooks in just 30 minutes in the amazing Instant Pot. The meat is melt in your mouth tender and the famous French flavors shine through ~ don't miss this one!
- 1-1.5 Angus Beef stew meat, or boneless top sirloin steak
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 0.25 cup cognac
- 1 bunch thyme, tied in a bundle
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 pound new potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 1 handful mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 0.5-1 tsp gravy browning
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 4 tbsp flour mixed with an equal amount of water
- fresh thyme leaves
- Toss the beef with the flour, salt and pepper. Make sure all the meat is coated with the flour.
- Heat the olive oil in your Instant Pot, set to Sauté. When the screen reads 'Hot', add 1/2 the meat to the pot to brown. Let the meat get good color on all sides, (4-5 minutes) then remove and brown the remaining meat.
- Add all the meat back into the pot and add the cognac. Stir to combine and let the cognac bubble for a minute. I like to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Press 'Cancel' and then add the bundle of thyme, the onions, celery, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic.
- Whisk together the wine, broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and gravy browning, and pour into the pot. Give everything a stir, then close and lock the lid. Put the vent to the seal position, and press 'Pressure Cook'. Set the timer to 30 minutes.
- When the machine beeps, press cancel and let it sit until the pressure comes down, about 15 minutes or so. Then open the lid and remove the thyme bundle. I like to set the Instant Pot to sauté at this point and add the onions and flour slurry. Stir well as the stew thickens. Be sure to taste to adjust the salt and pepper, you will likely need more. You can also add more Worcestershire sauce at this point if you feel it needs it.
- Serve in shallow bowls with a sprinkle of fresh thyme.