7 Grain Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
The View From the Great Island
7 Grain Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins ~ these healthy whole grain muffins are light and fluffy with seven different types of whole grains!
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 0.5 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar (don't pack down hard)
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 0.25 tsp allspice
- 0.25 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 0.5 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 0.25 cup oat flour
- 0.25 cup buckwheat flour
- 0.25 cup millet flour
- 0.25 cup barley flour
- 0.25 cup rye flour
- 0.25 cup amaranth flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Set oven to 350F
- Lightly spray or line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper or silicone cups
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the first 11 ingredients. Make sure to work out any lumps in the brown sugar.
- Fold in the flours, and then the chocolate chips, being careful not to over mix the batter.
- Spoon or scoop the batter into the muffin tin. This recipe makes 11-12 muffins, so you can mound the batter a bit. I like to pop a few extra chocolate chips onto the tops of the muffins before baking for an extra tempting look. Push them into the batter slightly with your finger.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, depending on the size of your muffins, or until they have fully risen and are not jiggly or wet in the center. You can use a toothpick to check. If you are baking these the next day from the fridge, I recommend letting the batter come to room temperature before baking.
- These muffins are magical when eaten warm. You can also reheat them for 15 seconds in the microwave.