Baked Eggs Florentine
The View From the Great Island
Baked Eggs Florentine ~ a simple but delicious dish of baked eggs with spinach. It makes an elegant breakfast, brunch, or cozy dinner.
- 1 slice bread, torn into rough crumbs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large shallot
- 5 ounce tub of baby spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped tarragon
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and black pepper
- Set oven to 375F
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a skillet and stir fry the bread crumbs for about 10 minutes until they are browned and crispy. Hit them with a little salt and pepper, and add the thyme. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the skillet and saute the garlic and shallot for a couple of minutes, stirring constantly. Add the spinach and stir until it wilts. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Put the spinach in the bottom of a gratin dish. Make four little indents for the eggs, and space them evenly around the dish.
- Crack an egg into each indent. Pour the cream around the eggs, and top with the tarragon. Sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Finish with a dusting of fresh nutmeg.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the whites are just set but the yolks are runny. Top with the breadcrumbs and more fresh herbs, if you like. Serve immediately.