Bittersweet Gingerbread Brownies
The View From the Great Island
Bittersweet Gingerbread Brownies ~ chewy frosted brownies topped off with a decadent bittersweet ganache for a unique holiday treat.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (DIVIDED. you can use semi-sweet chocolate)
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar (packed)
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- bittersweet ganache
- ½ cup cream
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips (you can use semi-sweet chocolate)
- Set the oven to 350F Spray and line a 9x9 square baking dish with foil or parchment paper with overhanging edges so you can lift out the cooled brownies for easier cutting.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. Stir to melt. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugars, and molasses. Then whisk in the eggs, one at a time.
- Whisk in the spices, and then stir in the flour and salt. Mix just until everything is well combined. Fold in the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for about 30-33 minutes, just until it is firm in the center, and dry cracks are forming around the edges. Don't over-bake. You can check with a toothpick ~ there should be no wet batter, but fudgey crumbs are ok.
- Let the brownies cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then remove to a rack to cool completely.
- Give the chilled ganache a good stir, and spread over the top of the cooled brownies. The ganache will firm up as it sits.
- To make the ganache, heat the cream until it comes to a boil. You can do this in a small saucepan, or in the microwave. (The cream will boil in just under a minute in the microwave) Take the cream off the heat and add the chocolate chips and let sit for 8 minutes. Whisk the ganache until it is smooth and all the chocolate has melted. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until thick enough to spread.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island