Bittersweet Gingerbread Brownies
The View From the Great Island
Bittersweet Gingerbread Brownies ~ chewy frosted brownies topped off with a decadent bittersweet ganache for a unique holiday treat.
- 0.25 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 0.25 cup brown sugar
- 0.33333333333333 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 0.25 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 0.5 tsp salt
- bittersweet ganache
- 0.5 cup cream
- 0.5 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Set the oven to 350F Spray and line a 9x9 square baking dish with foil or parchment paper with overhanging edges so you can lift out the cooled brownies for easier cutting.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. Stir to melt. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugars, and molasses. Then whisk in the eggs, one at a time.
- Whisk in the spices, and then stir in the flour and salt. Mix just until everything is well combined. Fold in the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for about 30-33 minutes, just until it is firm in the center, and dry cracks are forming around the edges. Don't over-bake. You can check with a toothpick ~ there should be no wet batter, but fudgey crumbs are ok.
- Let the brownies cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then remove to a rack to cool completely.
- Give the chilled ganache a good stir, and spread over the top of the cooled brownies. The ganache will firm up as it sits.
- To make the ganache, heat the cream until it comes to a boil. You can do this in a small saucepan, or in the microwave. (The cream will boil in just under a minute in the microwave) Take the cream off the heat and add the chocolate chips and let sit for 8 minutes. Whisk the ganache until it is smooth and all the chocolate has melted. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until thick enough to spread.