The View From the Great Island
Breakfast Pasta ~ it's modeled after pasta carbonara, but with a heavier emphasis on the meat and eggs. I used the ever present leftover ham, and a few slices of apple wood smoked bacon for this magical skillet pasta!
- ¾ lb thin spaghetti
- 4 slices applewood smoked bacon
- olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup ham (chopped)
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 extra large handful parsley (chopped)
- salt and coarse ground fresh pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta in salted water until just al dente.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet until it's crisp. Add the ham and garlic and saute for a few minutes. Add a little olive oil if the bacon didn't render much fat.
- In a small bowl, mix the cheese into the beaten eggs, and grind some black pepper in as well.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Add the pasta to the skillet and toss, along with the egg and cheese mixture, and parsley. Continue tossing over medium heat, adding a little of the reserved pasta water, until the eggs are cooked and the sauce is silky and thick. Add salt (if necessary) and more pepper to taste.
- Serve with extra parsley and cheese as garnish.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island