Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Chowder
The View From the Great Island
Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Cheese Chowder is comfort food at its finest...made from scratch quickly and easily in 30 minutes.
- 1 lb Broccoli (chopped into 1/2 pieces, florets, and stems )
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 sweet onion (diced)
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes (washed and diced)
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp dried sage
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp flour
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1½ cups half and half
- 1½ cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese ( plus more for garnish )
- Put the broccoli florets (not the stems) in a microwave safe bowl and add 3 tablespoons of water. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Set aside
- Melt the butter in a stock pot and saute the onions and chopped broccoli stems for about 7 minutes until softened but not browned.
- Meanwhile put the potatoes, bay leaves, cumin seeds and sage in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender, about 6-8 minutes. Don't over cook them.
- Add the flour to the onions and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add the wine to the pan and stir to combine everything. Stir in the half and half and chicken stock. Add the potatoes and 1 1/2 cups of their cooking water, along with the broccoli.
- Bring everything up to a simmer and cook gently for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in the cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with some additional cheese for garnish.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island