Brown Rice and Summer Vegetable Casserole with Feta and Black Olives
From a Chef's Kitchen
Topped with fresh tomatoes, Brown Rice and Summer Vegetable Casserole with Feta and Black Olives is perfect late summer comfort food!
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for oiling the baking dish
- 1 small Onion
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small yellow bell pepper
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into half-moons
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried
- 0.5 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1.5 cups cooked brown rice
- 0.66666666666667 cup ricotta cheese
- 0.66666666666667 cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium plum tomatoes
- 10 kalamata olives, halved and pitted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil an 8 or 9-inch by 5-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped bell pepper and continue cooking 8-10 minutes or until bell pepper begins to soften. Add the zucchini and cook 2-3 minutes more or until zucchini begins to soften. Stir in garlic, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, oregano, dill and crushed red pepper if using. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine vegetables, brown rice, ricotta and feta cheeses, lemon juice and salt and black pepper to taste. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and smooth the top.
- Place tomato slices over the top then sprinkle with halved Kalamata olives.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until hot throughout. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining chopped parsley.