Caprese Pizza Pasta Salad
From a Chef's Kitchen
Caprese Pizza Pasta Salad is a cool and easy way to enjoy all the elements of pizza during summer without turning on your oven!
- 8 ounces whole grain penne pasta or other similar-sized pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh marinated mozzarella balls
- 2 ounces pork or turkey pepperoni (about 1 cup) sliced
- 0.5 cup red onion
- 0.5 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 0.5 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 0.5 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 0.25 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook to the al dente stage. Drain, cool under cold running water, drain and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining salad ingredients.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Adjust seasoning and acidity as desired.
- Pour over salad and serve immediately.