Dinner at the Zoo
These homemade caramel apples look so impressive, but are quite easy to make. Dip your caramel apples in melted chocolate and roll them in toppings.
- 4 lollipop or wooden craft sticks
- 4 granny Smith apples (stems removed)
- 11 ounce package of caramels (unwrapped)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream (can also use water)
- 1½ cups chocolate chips or candy melts (white, dark or milk chocolate, or a combination)
- 1 cup assorted toppings (such as chopped nuts and candies)
- Scrub each apple under very hot running water to remove any wax coating. Dry each apple.
- Line tray or baking sheet with wax paper. Insert 1 stick into stem end of each apple.
- Microwave caramels and cream in large, microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute; stir. Microwave in additional 10- to 20-second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Dip each apple in melted caramel; scrape excess caramel from bottoms.
- Place each apple on the baking sheet. Chill until set, about 30 minutes.
- Heat the chocolate or candy melts in the microwave in 30 second increments until melted, stir until smooth.
- Dip each apple halfway into the chocolate, letting excess chocolate drip off. Roll each apple into selected toppings.
- Chill until apples are completely set, then serve, or store in the refrigerator covered for up to one week.
View the recipe instructions at Dinner at the Zoo