Chicken Salad with Poppy Seed Mayonnaise
The View From the Great Island
Chicken Salad with Poppy Seed Mayonnaise is an unexpected delight --- everybody is going to beg for the recipe, and the mayo is made from scratch!
- poppy seed mayonnaise
- 2 large pasteurized eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup vegetable oil, any type you like
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 0.5 tsp salt
- chicken salad
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, poached, cooled, and chopped.
- 0.33333333333333 cup chopped celery stalks, plus leaves
- 0.33333333333333 cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 0.33333333333333 cup dried raisins, cranberries, or a combination
- 0.33333333333333 cup toasted pecans (chopped)
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- To make the mayo, put everything in the bottom of a wide mouthed mason jar or other similarly shaped jar, just wide enough to fit the blade of your immersion blender. Put the blender blade at the bottom of the jar and blend, moving the blade up and down gently until the mixture emulsifies. This should happen almost instantaneously. When the mayo is thick enough, give it a stir and taste to adjust the seasonings.
- Put all the chicken salad ingredients in a large mixing bowl and add enough mayo to coat but not drown the salad. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper. You will have mayo leftover, so store in the refrigerator and use within 10 days.