Chicken Thighs with White Beans and Wilted Greens
The View From the Great Island
Chicken Thighs with White Beans and Wilted Greens ~ easy enough for a weeknight dinner, and perfect for when you want your company to feel like family.
- 8 bone-in, skin-on, chicken thighs
- salt, fresh cracked black pepper
- red chili flakes
- olive oil ((divided))
- 1 medium onion ( peeled, halved, and thinly sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic ( minced or thinly sliced)
- 2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 2 cups chicken stock (or 1 cup stock and 1 cup white wine)
- 2 15-ounce can white beans ( (or cannellini beans) drained and well rinsed)
- 1 bunch kale ( stems removed and chopped)
- 1 bunch watercress (stems trimmed)
- 1 large tub (1 lb) pre-washed baby spinach
- shavings of Parmesan-Reggiano cheese
- Set oven to 375F
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, to taste.
- Lightly coat the bottom of a large braising casserole or Dutch oven with olive oil and heat over medium high heat until the oil is quite hot, but not smoking. Brown the chicken, skin side down and in batches, for 3 minutes, then flip and cook for another minute. Remove to a baking sheet and finish baking in the oven, about 12-15 minutes, or until a thermometer reads 155F (it will rise to 165F while it rests. When done, cover loosely with foil.
- Meanwhile, saute the garlic, onion, and rosemary in the same pan the chicken was browned in. Add more oil if necessary and saute for about 5-7 minutes, until soft and golden. Add the stock, or stock and wine, to the pan and bring up to a bubble. Add the beans, and let simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the greens to the pan, a few handfuls at a time, stirring to wilt them.
- Smash some of the beans to thicken the sauce, and taste to adjust the salt, pepper, or red chili flakes. Add more fresh rosemary if you like.
- Nestle the chicken thighs back into the pan, and heat through.
- Serve topped with shavings of Parmesan.
View the recipe instructions at The View From the Great Island