CHICKPEA TIKKA MASALA
Dinner is on with this flavorful Indian inspired Chickpea Tikka Masala recipe! It's lusciously creamy and easy to make right at home in one pan with simple ingredients!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or 1/4 cup water/broth)
- 1 onion (large, diced)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 inch ginger (piece, minced or grated)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander (optional)
- 1½ teaspoons Turmeric
- 1 heaping teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon salt (mineral)
- 14 oz diced tomatoes (can, with juices, or 4 tomatoes chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 14 oz chickpeas (can, drained and rinsed)
- 15 oz coconut milk (can, full or low fat-cream is ok too)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- grain (rice, quinoa, couscous)
- naan (homemade, vegan)
- In a large pot, heat oil or water over medium heat, add onions and cumin seeds, cook for 5 – 7 minute, until onions are browned around the edges. Add the ginger and garlic, cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Add the garam masala, turmeric, garam masala, cayenne and cook for 1 – 2 two minutes, or until nice and fragrant. Add tomatoes and cook for 4 minutes, until they breakdown a bit. Add tomato paste, chickpeas and coconut milk, stir to combine and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. Simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with rice, cilantro lime rice, quinoa, couscous, or pair with vegan naan bread.
- Serves 6
View the recipe instructions at simple-veganista.com