Chocolate Walnut Shortbread Cookies
The View From the Great Island
Chocolate Walnut Shortbread Cookies ~ if a cookie and a brownie had a baby they might come up with a delicious buttery cookie like this!
makes about 14 small cookies, double the recipe if you like
- ¼ cup confectioner's sugar
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder (regular or extra dark)
- 1 stick, (1/2 cup) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- heaping 1/2 cup walnuts (rough chopped)
- Whisk together the dry ingredients. You can use a wooden spoon or a stand mixer. I use my mixer. Add in the butter and the vanilla, and stir until completely mixed and a soft dough forms.
- Fold in the walnuts and turn the dough onto a piece of parchment paper. Form the soft dough into a rough log, about 7-8 inches long.
- Roll up in the paper, smoothing the log and twisting the ends firmly to form a secure package.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, or freeze for 1 hour if you're in a hurry, then unwrap and slice into thin slices, about 1/4-1/3 inch.
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Place on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 10 to 12 minutes. Just until set.
- Cool for a minute on the tray, then transfer to a cooling rack.