The View From the Great Island
Cowboy Caviar ~ this cross between a salsa and a salad is a multi-tasker for barbecues and potlucks ~ think Cinco de Mayo, Memorial Day, and 4th of July!
approximately 6 cups
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can of black-eyed peas, well rinsed and drained
- 1 ear of corn, kernels removed (the corn can be cooked or raw)
- 0.33333333333333 cup minced red onion
- 0.33333333333333 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 0.33333333333333 cup finely diced yellow bell pepper
- 0.33333333333333 cup finely diced orange bell pepper
- 0.5 cup finely diced tomatoes
- 1-2 jalapenos (to taste) minced
- 0.25 cup chopped green stuffed olives
- 0.25 cup chopped black or kalamata olives
- a large handful of fresh cilantro leaves (chopped)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice to 2 large limes
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 0.5 tsp cumin powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put all the salad ingredients into a large bowl.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together and taste to adjust it to your liking.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss gently.
- The salad is best if made a couple of hours ahead of time to allow the flavors to develop and mingle. It keeps for a week in an airtight container in the refrigerator.