Cream of Asparagus and Leek Soup with Curry
From a Chef's Kitchen
Cream of Asparagus and Leek Soup with Curry makes a beautiful starter for an elegant late spring dinner or as part of a light lunch.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil ((divided))
- 10-12 ounces ramps (or 2 large leeks) (cleaned and trimmed, white and tender parts, coarsely chopped )
- 2 pounds asparagus, ( tough ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces, divided)
- 2 medium Russet potatoes ( peeled and cubed)
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder (to taste)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 4-5 cups chicken broth
- 0.5 cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- chopped fresh chives (for garnish)
- Reserve 12 nice asparagus tips for garnish. Prepare an ice bath. Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook 5-10 seconds just to blanch it. Transfer to the ice bath to cool. Pat dry and set aside.
- Heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add the ramps/leeks. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 6-7 minutes or until softened. Add the asparagus and potato and saute briefly or until the asparagus turns bright green.
- Add the curry powder and garlic and stir until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add 4 cups of the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover slightly then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 20 minutes or until asparagus and potatoes are very tender. Add the cream.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add additional chicken broth if the soup is too thick.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Transfer to bowls and garnish with the reserved asparagus tips and chopped fresh chives.