Deep Chocolate Kahlua Bites
The View From the Great Island
Deep Chocolate Kahlua Bites ~ melt in your mouth chocolate shortbread topped with a deep chocolate Kahlua buttercream ~ delicious!
makes about 40 cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 0.33333333333333 cup confectioner's sugar
- 0.33333333333333 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 0.5 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tbsp soft unsalted butter
- 0.75 cup sifted confectioner's sugar
- 0.25 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Kahlua
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- milk or cream to thin
- more confectioner's sugar for dusting
- Set oven to 350F
- Cream the butter, sugar, and cocoa powder together until well blended. Add the cornstarch and flour and mix the dough together until thoroughly combined. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or longer if desired.
- Form small heaps with the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet. I used a 1" scoop. Bake for about 13 minutes. Cool slightly on the pan, and then on a rack. Be careful, these cookies are delicate.
- Mix the soft butter with the cocoa powder and sugar, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix well, until smooth and creamy. Top each cooled cookie with a generous blob of frosting, and dust with powdered sugar.