Easy Chocolate Meringues
The View From the Great Island
These easy cocoa meringues are the minimalist of cookies. Just a few simple ingredients whip up into something magical! Meringues are a naturally gluten free, fat free treat!
- 3 large egg whites
- 0.75 cup granulated sugar
- 0.25 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 0.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 of salt
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (plus more for dusting )
- Preheat the oven to 215F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a stand mixer or handheld electric mixers with a large bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until they start to get foamy.
- Add the salt, cream of tartar, and vanilla extract.
- Continue to whip the egg whites at medium-high speed, and begin to add the sugar about a spoonful at a time until it has all been added.
- Add the cocoa powder, and continue to whip the meringue mixture until it is glossy and smooth, and will hold a stiff peak when you take the whisk out of the bowl (this will take a few minutes).
- Spoon onto parchment paper. I made 16 cookies about 2-3 inches in diameter. They don't puff up too much in the oven, so you can place them fairly close together on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 90 minutes. They should feel dry and very light, and come off of the parchment paper easily.
- To avoid cracks forming when you take them out of the oven, turn off the oven when they are done baking and allow them to cool completely in the oven with the door cracked open.
- Once cooled, dust the meringues with cocoa powder. They can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for a few days.